Not much beats tacos. They’re easy to make, fun to eat, versatile and delicious. I first came across this slow cooker taco recipe a few years ago, and it continues to be a staple in my house. If you’re a regularly follower of this blog you know, I LOVE my slow cooker. So my affection for this slow cooker taco recipe should come as no surprise. Yes tacos are already one of the easiest meals to prepare, but let me tell you, preparing them with a slow cooker not only makes the dish even easier, it also does wonders for their flavour.
Give this recipe a go, and let me know what you think. The best part about it? You can literally top your tacos with whatever you like.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
1 jar or container of your favourite salsa
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts Organic or free range with no added antibiotics or hormones
1 can of black beans (I like Eden Organic‘s)
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen organic corn
For Cashew Lime Cilantro Crema
1/2 cup cashews (if you don’t have a high speed blender then soak your cashews in warm water for an hour)
1/2 cup water
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves (some stems are okay)
1 lime, juiced
sea salt to taste
- Place salsa, beans and spices in your slow cooker, and mix well.
- Add chicken, then cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- While your chicken is cooking, and before serving, prepare your cashew lime crema by adding all ingredients to your blender and blending until smooth. Add more water if needed to reach desired consistency.
- About 5 minutes before serving, add your frozen corn and peas to the chicken mixture in your slow cooker to warm through.
- Serve with corn tortillas, slaw, avocado, cashew lime cilantro crema and your favourite hot sauce.