Granola can be a good healthy food choice… if you choose the right one.
There are hundreds of granola options out there; and reading the food labels can help you decide which one is right for you. A good rule of thumb when reading a label is to check if the first one or two ingredients are a word you can’t pronounce or sugar. If that’s the case with your granola, there’s absolutely a better nutrient rick option for you. One such option is making your own.
Granola is one of the easiest recipes to prepare for yourself. This recipe is a great starting ground that could easily be adapted to suit your taste, so feel free to play around with it.
But be warned: This stuff is extremely good/addictive, so be aware of your serving size. Foods like granola are calorie dense; and too much of a good thing can sabotage your caloric intake. I recommend using granola as a topping for your yogurt or oatmeal as opposed to having a full meal of it. This is a good way to ensure that you’re not overdoing it. Another option is to enjoy your granola as an on-the-go snack. Before you do though, make sure that you portion it out into smaller containers to ensure that you don’t go overboard. Like I said, this stuff is addictive. ????
Toasted Coconut Granola
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes – 2 hours (I explain why below!)
Makes: Approximately 4-5 cups
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- 3 cups Shredded Coconut
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Buckwheat Cereal
- ⅓ cup Pumpkin Seeds
- ⅓ cup Sunflower Seeds
- ⅓ cup Chia Seeds
- ½ cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- Preheat Oven.
- Option One : Bake @ 200 degrees for 2 hours (stirring occasionally)
- Option Two : Bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes (stirring every 3 minutes) *This accounts for the difference in cooking times
- Combine dry ingredients and pour onto baking sheet with edge.
- Pour melted coconut oil evenly over dry ingredients and stir.
- Drizzle honey over mixture and gently stir and redistribute granola evenly in pan.
- Bake until granola is a light golden brown. See baking times above.
- Allow baked granola to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy within 2 weeks!