This healthy twist on a fast food favourite is great for a family dinner or a simple way to prep meals for the week. The base cooks easily in the slow cooker and fresh toppings can be added when you are ready to serve. Makes great leftovers!
Quinoa Burrito Bowl
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 -7 hours (depending on how you set your slow cooker)
Burrito Bowl Base
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken Stock
- 2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes
- (you can substitute 1 can of diced tomatoes)
- 1.5 cups quinoa
- 1 can drained and Rinsed Black Beans
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- salt* and pepper to taste
*regular chicken stock contains sodium so add sparingly
Burrito Bowl Toppings
Pick the ones you like and don’t be shy!
- Lettuce (romaine and butter leaf lettuce work best)
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Green Onions
- Feta Cheese
Avocado and Cilantro Cream
- 1 Large Avocado
- ¼ cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp fresh minced cilantro
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Place chicken breasts, chicken stock, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and paper in slow cooker. Stir to mix ingredients, set on High for 3 hours or LOW for 5.
- Remove cooked chicken from slow cooker and gently shred with a fork.
- Add quinoa, black beans and shredded cooker back into contents of slow cooker. Set on High for 1 hour or LOW for 2.
- Stir Occasionally.
- While You Wait: Wash and finely chop veggies. Lettuce leaves can be used whole just like a tortilla or roughly chopped a base for bowl.
- In small bowl, smash one avocado, stir in greek yogurt until smooth and add salt, cilantro and lime juice. This dressing is best eaten fresh but can be stored for a short time in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- When quinoa is tender, turn slow cooker to warm and serve!