The perfect combination of creamy, crunchy and hard-hitting flavour, Caesar Salad is a classic that few are willing to mess with. Up until recently I was one of those people. But I decided to take a risk and try something new and substitute kale for the traditional romaine that one normally uses to make Caesar Salad—and let me tell you, I am so glad that I did.
Kale is a superfood packed with nutrients, and delicious when prepared correctly. The crispiness of kale makes it the perfect replacement to romaine in a Caesar Salad, while its slight bitterness compliments the savoury sweetness of the dressing wonderfully. I know that it’s hard to mess with an already good thing, but I challenge you to step outside your comfort zone and try this. Replacing kale for the romaine that you usually use adds a health kick to this famously calorie rich salad—not to mention revitalizes a classic. But if you’re not convinced, at least try my Caesar Salad dressing. It’s a staple at my house that I am confident will become your new favourite.
Here’s to happy and healthy eating!
Note: Make this salad ahead of time so that the dressing has time to soften the kale. You can also make this dressing dairy-free by omitting the parmesan and replacing it with nutritional yeast (as seen in the picture).
Kale Caesar Salad
1-2 bunches Lacinato Kale
1 bulb of roasted garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp of capers
1tbsp of caper juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/3 cup of nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the kale:
- Wash and remove rib from the middle of each leaf. Chop and set aside
For the dressing:
- Add all the ingredients except the olive oil to a food processor or blender, blend until almost smooth.
- Add olive oil in a slow thin stream until dressing is thick and creamy.
- Add about half the dressing to a large bowl containing your chopped kale—depending on how much kale you have.
- Using your hands massage the dressing into the kale until well coated.
- Cover and set in the fridge for at least a few hours.
- Take out and serve!
This is excellent with grilled chicken skewers or salmon and a side of Millet with chopped herbs.