I love butter chicken. But, as the name suggests, it’s not the best thing to eat on the regular… especially if you’re trying to lose weight. So when I discovered this lighter version of the recipe, I was beyond excited.
The dish, which has since become one of my go-to recipes, is simple to prepare, delicious and isn’t loaded with fat like traditional butter chicken. It is however, jam packed with flavour… so you won’t miss the extra fat. 😉
I hope that you like it!
1c full fat plain yogurt
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4tsp ground cardamom
1tsp ginger pulp
1tsp garlic pulp
14oz can stewed tomatoes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
2tbsp fresh cilantro or basil
4tbsp sour cream
- Place yogurt, dry spices, ginger, garlic and tomatoes into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix the chicken in with the yogurt mixture and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken mixture and cook on medium high heat until chicken is cooked.
- Add cilantro or basil and sour cream. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Served garnished with extra cilantro or basil, if desired.
- Serve over brown rice or quinoa paired with side salad or roasted veggies. So yum!