Who doesn’t love pizza?! The cheese, the crispy crust the fully loaded toppings… it’s pretty hard not to love. However eating takeout pizza can wreak havoc on your healthy eating routine, so it’s definitely something that you want to eat in moderation.
I’m not saying that you can’t indulge yourself from time-to-time with some takeout, I definitely do. But replacing a box of takeout with a homemade pizza pie is a great way to partake in some guilt-free indulgence.
This quick and easy recipe is loaded with veggies and isn’t super carb heavy. It’s also loaded with flavour, making it perfect for the whole family.
I prepared my pizzas on pita bread instead of the tortilla shells that the recipe calls for to make it a bit easier for my whole family to eat, particularly my kids, and it was unanimously voted a “make again meal.” Something that doesn’t happen often when I try out a new recipe.
Pair your pesto chicken pizza with a green salad or sliced veggies to make it the perfect post-workout lunch or dinner. Also, don’t be afraid to get creative and switch up the veggies, protein and cheese. One of the nicest things about pizza is that it’s super versatile. 🙂
Pesto Chicken Pizza
This recipe is courtesy of Gourmet Nutrition
- 6oz cooked chicken
- Olive oil
- Whole wheat tortilla (1 large or 2 small)
- 3tbsp Pesto
- 1/4c broccoli florets (cut small)
- 1/4c thinly sliced sundried tomatoes
- 1/2c asparagus cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup aged white cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Lightly oil a baking sheet with olive oil and place a tortilla on top.
- Mix the veggies, chicken and pesto in a bowl until combined.
- Spoon onto your tortilla and spread evenly avoiding the outside edge to create a crust. Top with cheese and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!!