Soup is one of the most comforting meals on the planet – which is a big reason why we tend to like to make it during our hibernation months. A dish packed with health benefits, I love to cook soup, but—if I’m being honest—I love to eat it even more. Surprise surprise, right?
I mean, who wouldn’t? It’s easy to prepare, nutritious and goes a long way.
In honour of this dish that I love I decided to feature one of my favourite soup recipes as of late. This one is adapted from a recipe that I originally found in the THUG KITCHEN cookbook – which you should pick up if you haven’t already.
While THUG KITCHEN’S version of the recipe was delicious, my friend Chelsea took it to the next level. Her version is the one that I like to make, and the recipe that I have listed below 😉
Whether you’re looking for a meal to warm you on a rainy Vancouver night, or feel a cold coming on, this recipe is the perfect choice.
Make it tonight and enjoy!
Miso Noodle Soup with Baked Tofu
Makes 2 big bowls or 4 sides
2 -4 inch pieces of fresh ginger
4 big cloves of garlic
6 cups vegetable broth or water
10 sprigs of cilantro
1 package of extra firm organic tofu
1 tablespoon sesame oil or coconut oil or half and half
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sriracha
Noodles & veggies:
8 ounces of soba noodles
1/4 cup organic soy sauce
1 1/4 cups broccoli cut into bite size pieces
1 1/2 tablespoons red miso paste (any flavour of miso will do here)
1 carrot cut into this matchsticks
1 cup snow peas cut into matchsticks
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
Preheat oven to 400
- To make the broth, peel the ginger by scraping the skin off with a spoon or using a vegetable peeler. Cut the ginger into 1/4 inch thick slices. Thickly slice the garlic too and chop the carrot into big chunks. Grab a medium pot and turn the heat on to medium. Once the pot is hot, add the ginger and carrot chunks and let those go in with no oil or anything. Keep stirring them around off and on for 2-minutes. It’s OK if they stick, just rip them off with the spoon and keep going.
- Then add the garlic and do the same thing for another minute. Pour in the broth or water, add the cilantro, and let that veggie hot tub simmer for 15-minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, cook the noodles according to the package directions and bake the tofu, place all the tofu ingredients except tofu on a cookie sheet and then add the tofu and toss to coat. Bake for 10-minutes, turn over halfway through.
- Once the broth has simmered for 15-minutes, pull out all the ginger, garlic, carrot, and cilantro with a slotted spoon. Add the soy sauce and broccoli and simmer for a minute or two until the broccoli has lost its raw edge, then turn off the heat.
- Scoop up 1/2 cup of the broth and dissolve the miso paste in it, stirring until the chunks are gone. Pour that back into the pot.
- To assemble, grab a handful of the noodles and place them at the bottom of the bowl. Add a handful of the carrots, snow peas and green onions. Ladle the hot broth and broccoli bits over and let it sit for a minute as the carrots and snow peas soften. Top with some more of the green onions and some of your favourite condiments. I like to use lime juice, a dash of toasted sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds, and and squirt of sriracha.
Note: Add the miso at the end so that you get the beneficial probiotics, as they won’t tolerate being heated for a long time. Also, feel free to swap out any of the veggies and use what you have on hand!
To Go Option
I took this to the studio for lunch last week. To pack it I heated the broth and packed in a thermos. For the noodles, tofu & veggies, I layered them in a large glass mason jar. When I was ready for lunch I then poured the broth over the veggies in the mason jar. I recommend that your veggies and noodles be at least room temperature so your soup is warm. Mine wasn’t that warm, but it was still delicious and many of you commented on how good the studio smelled!
Become a BIM Member
If you are not currently a member of Balance in Motion and would like to learn more about us and how we can help you Go Beyond Better please sign up below.
[wufoo username=”balanceinmotion” formhash=”r6pg71u1ig0xjh” autoresize=”true” height=”1100″ header=”hide” ssl=”true”]