Kale is kind of like cilantro, you either love it or you hate it. There really is no middle ground. But unlike cilantro, there are clever ways to hide kale’s bitter flavour and reap the benefits of eating it. Case in point: this flavourful jalapeño-lime kale slaw. Say that 10x fast.
Incorporating raw food—especially raw vegetables and greens—into your regular diet can help with the digestion of other parts of your meal. So whether you’re already singing kale’s praises, or would rather feed it to your dog, I highly recommend that you give this recipe a whirl. The jalapeño in the slaw’s dressing provides the perfect disguise to kale’s bitterness, and the lime cut’s through it’s woodiness. Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself.
Here’s to happy and healthy eating!
Jalapeño-Lime Kale Slaw
- 5 to 6 cups thinly sliced lacinato kale
- 1/2 cup (or more) diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or Herbamare
- Place kale and diced red pepper in a large bowl, set aside.
- Place all ingredients for dressing into a blender and blend on medium until combined. I actually place all ingredients into a wide mouth jar and use my immersion blender. This way I don’t dirty the whole blender!
- Pour dressing over salad and toss together. Taste and add more salt if needed. Let dressing mingle with the kale for 2 to 24 hours. The kale with tenderize and become softer the longer it sits.
Source: Nourishing Meals