One of my favourite fall meals is chili. A staple at my house, (code for: I make it a lot????) chili is easy to make, delicious to eat, and usually leaves you with leftovers… and if you’ve ever made it before, you know – it’s even better the second time around.
Since the “I love chili” gene is strong in me, I regularly experiment with different recipes and flavour concoctions, but Gourmet Nutrition’s hearty and healthy chili recipe is easily one of my favourites. When I say, “hearty” they mean it – this chili definitely leaves you feeling satisfied. Pair with a side salad or fresh sliced veggies (a nice fresh baked whole grain loaf would be delicious too) to make this a perfect fall meal.
Dr John’s Famous Chili
Courtesy of Gourmet Nutrition
- 4lbs extra lean ground beef (you could use ground chicken or turkey as well)
- 4 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1lb carrot, peeled and sliced
- 4 bell peppers, 1 green 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (46 fluid ounce) vegetable juice, spicy hot
- 1⁄2cup cashew meal
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, one pound at a time, over high heat together with the garlic and onions. If your skillet or wok is large enough, you can brown the beef all at once to save time. On the last batch, add the spices after the beef is browned and continue frying for another couple of minutes.
- Add the browned beef to a very large pot with a lid, and then add the beans, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and V8 juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. To make the cashew meal, process the cashews in a blender in short bursts, until a grainy meal is formed. Don’t process for too long or you’ll have cashew butter. Stir in the cashew meal, cover, and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- After that it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Makes 10+ servings