There are a few things that are quintessentially summer—
- Beach days
- Camping trips
- Lake swims and rope swings
- and, well, salad
Okay that last one may be a little bit of a stretch for some, but you get where I’m going with this – salad + summer = the perfect match.
I am a salad fiend, and am regularly on the hunt for new healthy recipes to serve to my family and friends. On my most recent search I came across a too-good-not-to-make recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook, It’s All Good. When it comes to a salad recipe, I have a few criteria’s that it has to meet—
- It needs to be healthy, no surprise there
- Nutritious, also probably no surprise
- and filling
One of the best ways to transform salad from some limpy greens on your plate to a meal you can’t wait to gobble up, is what you put in it – and Gwyneth’s power chopped salad recipe is loaded with all the right stuff. Crispy romaine, peppery arugula, crunchy protein-packed chickpeas, fresh tomatoes, deliciously sweet beets and nutrient-dense hard-boiled eggs, this salad has it all. Including a dressing you’ll want to lick off your plate… I know because I had to stop myself from doing it.
Give it a go and let me know what you think! In my humble opinion, it’s the perfect summer salad. 🙂
Power Chopped Salad with Creamy Parsley Dressing
From Gwyneth Paltrow’s It’s All Good
2 hearts of romaine, finely shredded
2 handfuls baby arugula, roughly chopped
14 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 vine ripened tomatoes, diced
2 cooked beets, peeled and diced (boiled or roasted)
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- Place romaine and arugula in a bowl and toss with ¼ cup of dressing so the lettuces have a light coating.
- Divide the mixture among 4 plates or on a large platter.
- Over the top of the lettuce, evenly scatter the chickpeas, tomatoes, beets and hard-boiled eggs.
- Drizzle each portion which another tablespoon or two of the dressing and serve immediately.
Creamy Parsley Dressing
Makes about 1 ¼ cups
Leaves from 1 bunch organic Italian parsley
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup organic Veganaise
3 tbsp water
½ tsp coarse sea salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a blender until completely pureed. Keeps well in a jar with a fitted lid for up to one week.